as a noun, figure has lots of meanings, see the following,
1. A written or printed symbol representing something other than a letter, especially a number.
ex: you better tell me where you quoted these figures for your statistic analysis of essay!
2. a type of skating
ex: Michelle Kwan is well-known as many times of national championship of figure-skating.
3. The shape or form of a human body.
ex: oh my goodness, your figure is damn hot!
as a verb, here are the examples:
1. To calculate with numbers.
ex: i need a breakdown cost structure to figure out the portion of each component.
2. to conclude, believe, or predict
ex: I never figured that this would happen.
3. to get an idea of something
ex: i can't figure out why she resigned this job without a word left.
by the way, "go figure" is pretty much the same as "figure" but just emphasize an active moving on figuring something. for example,
i order you guys to go figuring out the root cause of the failure of the network and submit me a report before this noon!!
myself and dictionary