?
Lv 5
? 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 1 0 年前

To voice or to void?

恐怖小說「科學怪人」( Frankenstein, 1818 ) 的作者Mary Shelley,講過下面二段很類似的話,有人知道為什麼嗎?這二段話的意思又是什麼呢? Invention, it must be humbly admitted, does not consist in creating out of voice, but out of chaos.    Invention, it must be humbly admitted, does not consist in creating out of the void, but out of chaos; the materials must, in the first place, be afforded: it can give form to dark, shapeless substances, but cannot bring into being the substance itself.   http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mary_w...

已更新項目:

請看下面網頁的Quotation of the day:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/archive.htm?d=9...

2 個解答

評分
  • 1 0 年前
    最佳解答

應該是 void 才對,指空虛的狀態、心情或感覺,為名詞;形容詞則有  無效的、缺乏的 (+ of)、沒有佔用的  之意, 如:This document has been claimed void [這一文件已被宣稱無效]. voice:  聲音, 用於此...顯然文不對題!Invention, it must be humbly admitted, does not consist in creating out of the void, but out of chaos; the materials must, in the first place, be afforded: it can give form to dark, shapeless substances, but cannot bring into being the substance itself. --->發明, 它必須謙遜地被承認, 不包括出自於空虛的創造, 但出於無規則的紛亂; 材料必須是,首先,得買得起而可取得的: 它能夠給出形體上黑暗,形狀不定的物質,但無法帶領進入的是物質的本質。

2006-09-09 08:14:33 補充:

如果真的有 voice 這句,就試著照翻好了...Invention, it must be humbly admitted, does not consist in creating out of voice, but out of chaos. --- 發明, 它必須謙遜地被承認, 不包括出自於外在聲音(引申為語言,甚至於意見和思維、思想)的創造,但出於無規則的混亂。

2006-09-09 09:54:37 補充:

Thanks, C.C. for your quote...As matter of fact, I already got this quotation, and that's why I have also done my best and translated this---voice--- sentence for you. Hope that would help you for some purpose.

參考資料: Henry周博博本人
  • 1 0 年前

Allow me to quote the paragraph and hope that will help.

Every thing must have a beginning, to speak in Sanchean phrase; and that beginning must be linked to something that went before. The Hindus give the world an elephant to support it, but they make the elephant stand upon a tortoise. Invention, it must be humbly admitted, does not consist in creating out of void, but out of chaos; the materials must, in the first place, be afforded: it can give form to dark, shapeless substances, but cannot bring into being the substances itself. In all matters of discovery and invention, even of those that appertain to the imagination, we are continually reminded of the story of Columbus and his egg. Invention consists in the capacity of seizing on the capabilities of a subject; and in the power of moulding and fashioning ideas suggested to it.

Well, this is it. Considering the context, I think the word is ----- void.

還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。