sick、slam 及 split 的詞性
I came across some sentences that confused me. Could anyone please help me out?
1. He is surely worried sick about us by now.
Is "sick"in this sentence an adverb and modifying "worried"?
2. The heavy gates slammed shut.
3. When he reached for the purse, the seat of his pants split wide open.
Are "slam" and "split" linking verbs in above two sentences?
Thanks for helping.
- 1 0 年前最佳解答
0. If you say that you are worried sick, you are emphasizing that you are extremely worried. ---Therefore, sick is converted into an adverb that modifies the verb " worried".
1. The words "slam" and "split" are linking verbs in those two sentences.
--- Linking verbs are the verbs that link the subject of a clause or a complement( an adjective group or an noun group)
--- In sentence 2, "shut" is an adjective that must come after a linking verb.
In sentence 3, "wide open" is a phrase which must be linked with a linking verb.參考資料： myself+dictionary