- 1 0 年前最佳解答
In addition to the famous baths, which are in its vicinity, the old town of Pisa, located on the Arno River, below the Grand-Duchy of Florence, has buildings most worthy to fix the attention of travellers. The Plaza of the Cathedral offers several illustrated here - on the left we notice initially the dome of the baptistery, named after Saint John the Baptist, whose cupa finishes in a peak. It was built in the years 1152 to 1264, a present of king Ruggieri of Sicily, as well as the gracious gift of 34,000 Pisan families who provided the stone masonry. It is covered with marble.
In the middle of the plaza rises, in the shape of a Latin cross, the cathedral devoted to the Virgin, built in its entirety in marble, having the most beautiful bronze doors. The finest artists of Italy came to decorate it - mosaics, carvings of bas-reliefs and statues.
On view at the right, the bell-tower called the Torre Pendente, inclined tower, the tallest structure in the city, with a base 14 to 15 feet thick. It is 142 feet tall. Built on unstable ground, this bell-tower subsided while it was built and there remains.
One also sees the most beautiful marble statues here, which were part of the old Greek temples since destroyed.