What is mean: How dare are you?

And please expain it in English.

How to use dare?

* Don't write in Chinese, please.

4 個解答

評分
  • 1 0 年前
    最佳解答

DARE may be used as a main verb and as a semi-modal.

"One DARE to do something" means that people need courage to do that and actually do.

As a main verb functions some verbal phrase with the verb DARE in an exclamative way: "Someone daring to do something" and in expressing being shocked and angry, "how dare you!" i.e. something irratates.

DARE has its sense to challege, to suggest the other one's idea, in: "I dare say", in order to disappoint the other people and/or "I dare say/ daresay" to post another point of view, as a suggestion, like an expectation or supposition different to the ones addressed before.

DARE as semi-modal for it is used like modals in some ways but not in every case it shows up. So one could use "dare do" and "dare to do". With or without another modal verbs (like "do") an interrogative can be formed: "Dare John . . . ?" But for 1. person it seems more usual in indicative usages ("I dare say it's totally wrong" or "I daren't go far away"). An example with modal "do": "John didn't dare do this." Finally, dare can be used in (inter/intrat sentence) context without an infinitive after it to refer (cataphoric) the previous verbal goup

Also, DARE is used as a noun, like "courageous try", an example from dictionary: "James Bond had accepted a dare" where it be understood as a rough task.

參考資料: John Sinclair et al., 1987, Collins COBUILD English language dictionary. London: HarperCollins Publishers.
  • 1 0 年前

How dare you, etc.!

Used to express anger about something someone has done:

How dare you use my car without asking!

How dare he tell me what to do!

VERB:

Inflected forms: dared, dar·ing, dares

TRANSITIVE VERB:

1. To have the courage required for: The gymnast dared a breathtakingly difficult move.

2. To challenge (someone) to do something requiring boldness: They dared me to dive off the high board.

3. To confront or oppose boldly.

Also see "defy".

INTRANSITIVE VERB:

To be courageous or bold enough to do or try something: Go ahead and dive if you dare.

AUXILIARY VERB:

To be courageous or bold enough to: I dare not say. How dare she go?

NOUN:

An act of daring; a challenge.

ETYMOLOGY:

Middle English daren, from Old English dearr, first and third person sing. present indicative of durran, to venture, dare. See dhers- in Appendix I.

OTHER FORMS: darer —NOUN

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/dare

參考資料: http://www.m-w.com/
  • 1 0 年前

Have courage, impudence to.

Be brave enough to. Challenge.

Don't you dare to do it again?

I dare say she will be late.

How dare you say such rude things to me.

• 1 0 年前

"dare"

DO STH RUDE/SHOCKING ETC

How "dare" you?

(spoken)

used to show that you are very angry and shocked about what someone has done or said .

2007-01-31 17:10:48 補充:

This is LONGMAN DICTIONNARY of contemporary English ONLINE

http://www.ldoceonline.com/

參考資料: LONGMAN DICTIONNARY of contemporary English
還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。