but how come it will mean ''bear''

would someone interpret it?

1 個解答

評分
  • 1 0 年前
    最佳解答

beowulf means bee- wolf

but how come it will mean ''bear''

I suppose what you mean is that Beowulf means "bee-wolf", so how come it means "bear" in other places?

According to Wikipedia (below is a summary):

J. R. R. Tolkien (author of The Lord of the Rings) argued that the name Beowulf means bee-hunter (literally, bee-wolf) in Old English. The name Beowulf could therefore be a kenning for "bear" due to a bear's love of honey. Some scholars suggest that Beowulf could correspond to Bdvar Bjarki, the battle bear, from Norse sagas. Both Beowulf and Bjarki left Geatland (where Bjarki's brother was king), arrived in Denmark and slew a beast that terrorized the Danish court. Author John Grigsby argued that the word Beowulf translates as 'Barley wolf' and links this character to ancient warrior cults of Indo-European tradition. R. D. Fulk and Joseph Harris suggest that the name is theophoric (有字義為「神」的), related to the Germanic god Beow, citing the rarity of kenning derived names and other similar names such as Gott-fried, Gott-lieb, Torsten(Thor-stone), the Norse r-lfr, and the English Tiu-wulf.

So to summarise, the origin of the name/word "Beowulf" is debatable. From a linguistic point of view, "Beowulf" means "bee-wolf" or "bee hunter" in Old English (古英語) and is therefore linked to "bear", as bears are drawn to honey, which is produced by bees.

I hope this helps to clarify your confusion somewhat.

參考資料: myself & Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf)
    • Commenter avatar登入以對解答發表意見
還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。