tsai 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 1 0 年前

請解釋“having forgotten “ 文法問題

下列一段摘自” to kill a mocking bird”

Mindful of John Wesley's strictures on the use of many words in buying and selling, Simon made a pile practicing medicine, but in this pursuit he was unhappy lest he be tempted into doing what he knew was not for the glory of God, as the putting on of gold and costly apparel.

So Simon, having forgotten his teacher's dictum on the possession of human chattels, bought three slaves and with their aid established a homestead on the banks of the Alabama River some forty miles above Saint Stephens.

有請大大解釋為何用 “having forgotten “ (文法問題 如有例句更好)

1 個解答

評分
  • Elisa
    Lv 7
    1 0 年前
    最佳解答

So Simon had forgotten his teacher’s dictum on the possession of human chattels. Simon bought three slaves.

= Simon, (having) forgotten his teacher’s dictum on the possession of human chattels, bought three slaves.

= (Simon) Having forgotten his teacher’s dictum on the possession of human chattels, Simon bought three slaves.

= Because Simon had forgotten his teacher’s dictum on the possession of human chattels, he bought three slaves.

= Simon had forgotten his teacher’s dictum on the possession of human chattels, so he bought three slaves.

=> Here, you have a common subject, Simon. To connect the two sentences, you can use either a participle or a conjunction.

“Having forgotten” is participle, a type of verbal form that modifies nouns.

To better understand the rest of the sentence, you can break it down like this.

With their aid, Simon established a homestead on the banks of the Alabama River .

The Alabama River is some forty miles above Saint Stephens.

Other examples:

Present Participles - 現在分詞

I know a pretty lady. The pretty lady lives in Paris .

= I know a pretty lady who lives in Paris .

= I know a pretty lady living in Paris .

Past Participles –

I ate a chicken dish. The chicken dish was prepared by a famous chef.

= I ate a chicken dish (which was) prepared by a famous chef.

Words in ( ) can be omitted.

Let me know if you are still not clear.

參考資料: Myself. Studied English abroad at the age of 11. Tutored English as an Undergrad. A project manager in the US since 1992.
    • 登入以對解答發表意見
還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。