susu 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 1 0 年前

laptop grunts, vet loans何意思?

A former New Century employee laments sticking elderly borrowers on fixed incomes into loans that would become unaffordable. "It got to a point where I literally got sick to my stomach," she says. Muolo and Padilla charge that Merrill and Bear Stearns, for example, used "laptop grunts" sequestered in hotels at what Muolo says were "rubber stamp" factories to "vet" loans.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_32...

以上兩句大意及如下片語何意? 謝謝.

stick into=?

laptop grunts=?

vet loans=?

4 個解答

評分
  • Wen
    Lv 5
    1 0 年前
    最佳解答

A former New Century employee laments sticking elderly borrowers on fixed incomes into loans that would become unaffordable. "It got to a point where I literally got sick to my stomach," she says. Muolo and Padilla charge that Merrill and Bear Stearns, for example, used "laptop grunts" sequestered in hotels at what Muolo says were "rubber stamp" factories to "vet" loans.

"New Century" 的一名前員工,懊悔當初誘騙收入有限的老年借款人申請他們日後無力償還的貸款。 “到了令我真的覺得反胃的地步。”Muolo 和 Padilla 舉例指控美林和貝爾史登,僱用員工在旅館足不出戶,靠著筆記電腦,做為批准退伍軍人貸款的橡皮圖章工廠。

stick into: Slang, to defraud or cheat.

俚語,指設圈套騙人去做某事。

laptop grunt:

grunt: Slang. One who performs routine or mundane tasks.

俚語,指一個做例行公事的人。

laptop grunt 是指電腦上班族,日復一日,面對筆記電腦,處理乏味呆板的例行公事。

vet loan:

vet 指退伍軍人,vet loan 是退伍軍人貸款。

最後一句是指:美林和貝爾史登,有如橡皮圖章工廠般,不經審核便大量批准退伍軍人貸款。

2008-08-07 15:30:41 補充:

對不起,我把最後一句重新看了一下,發現翻錯了。原文應該譯為:

"New Century" 的一名前員工,懊悔當初誘騙收入有限的老年借款人申請他們日後無力償還的貸款。 “到了令我真的覺得反胃的地步。”Muolo 和 Padilla 舉例指控美林和貝爾史登,僱用員工在旅館內足不出戶,靠著筆記電腦,做為審核貸款的橡皮圖章工廠。

vet 是動詞,是審核的意思。 vet loans 指審核貸款,跟退伍軍人(veteran) 無關。

最後一句是指:美林和貝爾史登,有如橡皮圖章般,不經審核便大量批准貸款。

• 登入以對解答發表意見
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 0 年前

這個問題有深度 王彩玟翻得真好

• 登入以對解答發表意見
  • Elisa
    Lv 7
    1 0 年前

Very good translation from #2 tsaiwen_wang

"vet" is used as a verb here as he indicated.

see http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vet

• 登入以對解答發表意見
  • 匿名使用者
    1 0 年前

Mortgage and Credit Crisis

一位前New Century公司的職員對於

叫有固定收入的年長貸款人(去)借貸那種將來負擔不起的貸款

表示婉惜哀悼

她說 那真叫我痛到反胃

Muolo and Padilla(作者)抨擊Merrill 和Bear Stearns說

例如:

所謂Muolo所稱的

用隱身於旅館中低喃機器聲中的 "橡皮圖章rubber stamp"工廠(喻低產值的工廠)

給予退休貸款

以上兩句大意及如下片語何意? 謝謝.

stick somebody on something = 使某人固定於某事上= (俚)欺騙某人某事

grunts=低喃聲

laptop= 手提電腦

grunts=低喃聲

laptop= 手提電腦的低沉運作聲

在 Chain of Blame: How Wall Street Caused the Mortgage and Credit Crisis這本書

( 作者Paul Muolo and Mathew Padilla)

的讀後書評中 談到這第五段中第一行some 200 industry veterans

所以此地vet loans= 企業退休人員貸款

接下來的In fact,(事實上)就在舉證上述的說法

In fact, workers interviewed in the book say they were told to approve one loan per hour to keep the business running at full throttle. A boiler-room-like cheesiness reigned: Ameriquest loan officers used a brightly lit Coca-Cola (KO) machine as a tracing board to copy borrower's signatures onto blank documents. In such a sweatshop climate, compliance officers "were steamrolled by the enormity of the money in the business," according to frontline Countrywide employee Chris Goode.

希望有傳達真意

參考資料: 教學 + 翻譯 + 經驗 +網頁
    • 登入以對解答發表意見
還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。