1. unshakable 不可動搖的;堅定不移的: that cannot be changed or destroyed. unshaken 不動搖的;堅決的 : not having changed a particular feeling or attitude. Ex. They remain unshaken in their loyalty. unshaken in sth 指得是當下的狀態,這狀態可能會有改變的時候. Unshakable就比較堅決一點,形容某物不可動搖的特性 Ex. Their loyalty is unshakable.
2. pitiful 可憐的,令人同情的 可鄙的 deserving or causing you to feel pity. (同義詞: pathetic); not deserving respect (同義詞: poor) pitiable 令人憐憫的,可憐的 可鄙的 piteous 可憐的,淒慘的;值得憐憫的 此三者並沒有什麼差別,尤其pitiful 和pitiable幾乎是通用的兩個字, piteous是比較文言的. Ex. The horse was a pitiful sight because it was thin and sick. She has a pitiable lack of talent. He made a pitiful excuse on being late. I heard that piteous cry again at night.
3. respectful: showing or feeling respect respectable: (1) considered by society to be acceptable, good or correct. (2) fairly good, that there is no reason to be ashamed of 兩者稍有不同: respectful是指人對某事物保持敬意的情形, respectable則用來形容某事物能為人所接受的特質. Ex. The onlookers stood at a respectful distance. We were brought up to be respectful of authority. This is a highly respectable neighborhood. Go and make yourself look respectable. We got a perfectly respectable result from the experiment.
2009-08-07 15:32:17 補充：
1. maintain: 維持不變, 維修/保養(建築物等),扶養(小孩)
ex: The house is large and difficult to maintain. She maintains her son at college.
2. sustain: 支撐,承受,證實, 供養(同maintain)
ex: The love of his family sustained him during his time in prison.
The ice will not sustain your weight.
2009-08-07 15:32:31 補充：
3. retain: 保留, 攔住 , 僱用(律師), 記住
ex: This basket won't retain water.
She has a good memory and finds it easy to retain facts.
He retained the best lawyer in the state.
2009-08-10 19:54:31 補充：
assuage和alleviate二字相通, ex. to alleviate suffering. A number of measures were taken to alleviate the problem. 只是assuage是較正式的用字
ex. The move was seen as an attempt to appease critics of the regime.
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary