動詞的過去完成時態的形態是：had + 動詞的過去分詞
I had taken my supper when he arrived.
※ "I had taken my supper" 是主句， "when he arrived" 是從句
過去 現在 將來
past perfect simple past
Had you finished your work when I visited you yesterday?
When I reached the station, the train had already started.
He said that his father had returned to America.
After I had done my work, I played tennis.
※ 若用了 "After" 這個詞，可不用過去完成時態，因已有「之後」
After I did my work, I played tennis.
在這種情況下，"After I did my work"是：
" Simple past Tense in form, but past perfect Tense in meaning."
同樣，I had seen your father before I went.亦可寫成：
I saw your father before I went.
1. When I had finished my homework, I watched television.
2. I had finished my homework when I watched television.
3. I had finished my homework before I watched television.
4. I finished my homework before I watched television.
5. After I had finished my homework, I watched television.
6. After I finished my homework, I watched television.
7. I finished my homework and I watched television.
I reached the station, the bell rang and the train started.