in bed vs on bed
I am puzzled with English grammer, who can help me? Thanks a lot.
1. She lay down fully dressed「on the bed.」vs. She lay 「in bed」 thinking.
Question: What is the difference?
2. port vs. dock vs. harbor
Question: what are they, I cannot get it after looked them up.
3. I could not go to the party becuase I have a 「commitment」
Question: what does commitment mean? appointment?
- 匿名使用者1 0 年前最佳解答
1. on the bed - literally means a person is on top of the bed, whether lying down, sitting, or standing; it's more concerned about the person's location.
in bed - usually implies that the person is covered by a blanket, giving the sense that someone is in bed; this also implies that someone is ready to sleep.
2. They are essentially the same; the same way street, avenue and boulevard are the same. Just different words describing the same thing.
3. It's not the same as an appointment. Although an appointment could be a commitment. The word commitment is because you have promised to be somewhere or meet someone, thus committed to another engagement.
Hope this helps!
For more English learning articles, check out my blog!參考資料： www.FranklinLearning.com.tw