Tu 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 10 年前

Which one is appropriate?

I was wondering that does anyone know the word mention below:

---sympathetic---, ---pity ---

if to conjugate those word into the sentence like---

He was very sympathetic toward the homeless people on the street

Is it kind of ironic way to express; similar to homeless is sypathetic?

Does normal western world everyday conversation deem those expression appropriate?

Thank you,

已更新項目:

Does anyone think the listener will be feel more positive, more friendly, when hear people say

----- sympathy than sympathetic?-----

any difference between, for the feeling parts?

2 個已更新項目:

Cause i remember western has a negative expression :

---You are sympathetic---

Is this the correct word they are talking about or it's other? If so, does anyone will still conjugate this word into the sentence when trying to show some sympathy?

2 個解答

評分
  • 最佳解答

I would also use sympathetic in that sentence. I think it is more appropriate.

Pity has a underlying meaning of (look down) on someone else; feeling oneself more superior than another. You would never want to tell a homeless that you pity him.

quote(

Sympathy has a positive connotation, as in the speaker is in a positive attitude toward the person he has sympathy towards

Pity has a negative connotation, speaker has a negative attitude towards the

person being pitied...conveys a sense of dislike and superiority very slightly

) from English yahoo answer

sympathy 是善意得同情

pity 有時意指對方需要被同情的 會讓人覺得高傲 要看情形使用

2010-02-08 09:31:38 補充:

sympathy is a noun (名詞)

sympathetic is an adjective (形容詞)

I think the negative expression you mentioned is

-------- You are pathetic. -----------

pathetic means laughable, absurd, or pitifully inferior (被嘲笑的, 可笑的, 可悲的)

2010-02-08 09:32:03 補充:

sympathy and sympathetic have the same meaning

• 10 年前

well, i suppose that people use the word sympatheic more than pity, in my opinion pity will be more like looking down upon a person. Both words are appropriate, just depends on where and when you use it

參考資料: myself
還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。