Orbit 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 9 年前

difference between 3 words

So I have come up with 2 sets of 3 words that confuses me.

I know their definition but I wonder how will you use each of the words in a sentence.

In addition, I want to know the difference between them

(ie. how are they related)

Set 1-------

ascetice

austere

martinet

Set 2-----------

elude

evasive

evade

已更新項目:

yap, i meant "ascetic" what a big typo i just made.

well thank you so much ~

1 個解答

評分
  • 最佳解答

Set 1:

I think you meant "ascetic," correct? If so, ascetic is an adjective or noun referring to a strict lifestyle with many constraints on worldly pleasures, often to pursue a religious or spiritual goal. In other words, an ascetic individual refrains from pleasure in order to reach his/her spiritual goal. This reminds me of the monks in the Church.

Ex.1: The monks in the Medieval Period led ascetic lives.

Ex.2: The monk is an ascetic who denies all forms of pleasure.

"Austere" often gives me the impression of strict, bleak, and plain. It is very similar to ascetic, but I think the difference lies in the fact that austere does not have a religious connotation. It is simply an adjective that can be used to describe either sober strictness, or something severely simple.

Ex.1: The teacher teaches in an austere manner that intimidates every student.

Ex.2: The austere house has bare walls and plain furniture.

Now "martinet" isn't a word I've heard before, and by looking at the dictionary, it looks like it is again a word describing strict discipline. But the difference here is that this word refers especially to military people. Martinet is a noun that often refers to people in the military who determinedly follow strict rules.

Ex.1: Mr. Hamilton is a strict martinet who always follows the orders of the military.

Set 2:

I think "elude" and "evade" are very similar... They seem like they can be used interchangeably. Both are verbs meaning to avoid or to escape a situation by cleverness and trickery.

Ex.1: With a clever tongue, she easily eluded/evaded the question.

Ex.2: Sleep continues to elude/evade me, and I haven't slept for days.

Ex.3: The answer eludes/evades me; I can't seem to find the solution.

"Evasive" is simple. It comes from "evade" and is just the adjective form of it. It means tending to avoid or seeking to evade.

Ex.1: He keeps a reserved manner, giving evasive answers to our questions.

I hope that helped!

Good luck :)

參考資料: me (Taiwanese-Canadian)
還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。