Before the 1850s, Americans never went on vacation. In fact, there was no word vacation in there vocabulary. Even today, taking time off from work makes many Americans uncomfortable. In her book Working at Play, Professor Cindy S. Aron tells the story of Americans’ love-hate relationship with vacations. Aron shows how early American history can explain these mixed feelings about vacations, When the Puritans emigrated from England to the American colonies in the 1600s, they brought with them a strong belief in productivity and an equally strong disapproval of laziness. Aron points out that these Puritan values don't support the idea of "getting away from it all" or going on vacation. Vacationing started in the 1850s. At that time, wealthy people left the cities and lived in their country homes for the summer. These people never spoke of this as a vacation, though. Instead, they said they were "going away for their health." Aron explains that deadly contagious diseases, such as cholera and tuberculosis, spread quickly in the hot, crowded cities, so going away was a healthy thing to do. Later, doctors said that traveling and camping were also good for a person's health, so wealthy people began to do these activities as well.
還有這三段各個的Marginal notes 謝謝=)
- joeLv 69 年前最佳解答
在1850年代時,美國人從來沒有去渡假.事實上,他們的字彙裡,根本沒有"渡假"這個詞.即使是今日,從工作中抽出時間(去渡假),還是會讓很多美國人不自在.辛蒂 S 亞瓏教授,在她的"在玩樂時工作"書中,道出美國人對渡假的愛恨情仇.
亞瓏攤出美國歷史,從多久以前,就能解釋,對渡假的這種交織摻雜的感情.在1600年代,清教徒從英格蘭,移民到美洲殖民地時,他們就帶來了對生產的堅強信念,與對偷懶同等堅強的非難. 亞瓏指出,這些清教徒的價值觀,並不支持"從所有(工作)中溜走", 或跑去渡假的念頭.
1. Americans have mixed feelings on vacations.
2. Professor Aron said Puritans disapprove laziness since they emigrated to America.
3. Wealthy people began to vacationing since 1950s due to quick spreading of contagious diseases, and idea of travelling and camping good for health.
2011-05-09 22:20:47 補充：
3. Wealthy people began to vacationing since "1950s" due to quick spreading of contagious ......................
2011-05-10 08:08:10 補充：
2011-05-10 08:10:41 補充：
3. Wealthy people began to vacationing since "1950s" due to quick spreading.......
3. Wealthy people began to vacationing since "1850s "due to quick spreading.........參考資料： me