Kevin
Lv 7
Kevin 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 9 年前

Granted, ...., but still. (內詳)

閱讀小說時的問題: Jim Butcher 的小說 Storm Front, 講一個巫師辦案的故事.

Blood smells a certain way, a kind of sticky, almost metallic odor, and the air was full of it when the elevator doors opened. My stomach quailed a little bit, but I swallowed manfully and followed Murphy out of the elevator and down the hall past a couple of uniform cops, who recognized me and waved me past without asking to see the little laminated card the city had given me. Granted, even in a big-city department like Chicago P.D., they didn't exactly call in a horde of consultants (I went down in the paperwork as a psychic consultant, I think), but still. Unprofessional of the boys in blue.

...紅色部分的語意在下自覺無法精確掌握, 請各位先進指導.可以中文解說/翻譯, 分析句構, 或以較冗長累贅(但易懂)的英文改寫.感恩.

已更新項目:

感謝銀角大王前輩的解析, 令在下茅塞頓開! ^_^

補充說明: 他們去的地方是兇案現場, 所以才會提到血腥味.

3 個解答

評分
  • 9 年前
    最佳解答

Granted, even in a big-city department like Chicago P.D., they didn't exactly call in a horde of consultants (I went down in the paperwork as a psychic consultant, I think), but still. Unprofessional of the boys in blue.

[辦案過程,敘事者跟著Murphy (警探?) 來到一個理應"戒備森嚴"的警察局。原本敘事者必須使用通行證/識別證,但是警衛認得他,就揮個手讓他通過。]

翻譯紅色文字部份:

好吧,即使在大都會警察局,像這個芝加哥警局,他們辦案未必真的 找一堆顧問來幫忙(我想,在文件中登記我的身份是"精神/心理顧問") [請來幫忙的顧問很少,所以很容易認出我,所以不需驗明證件] ,但這還是不對啊。這些警察不夠專業。

藍字句子為補充說明。

boys in blue = cops

Granted = (勉強同意,接受) "就算" "好吧"

but still = 還是(不同意上述相關的某部份)

Granted 指:Chicago PD 所找顧問很少,所以很容易認得他

but still 指:但是他還是覺得做法不當。下一句就把 unprofessional 標出來。

2011-09-17 19:10:04 補充:

第一行 a big-city department 翻譯為"大都會的政府機關/部門" 比較精確。

• Kevin
    Lv 7
    9 年前

Thanks, Master RJ.

I just had problems figuring out what the author didn't say behind "still," But Master 銀角大王seemed to have offered a reasonable version.

Are you implying a different one?

• 9 年前

I'll probably translate "granted...still" as "就算...還是"or"即便...還是"indicating a given condition is understandable; however, a different outcome is to be desired.

my 2c.

2011-09-18 00:28:19 補充:

Not at all. I agree with the analysis and interpretation offered by 銀角大王.

還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。