Baobao 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 9 年前

go blank; body politic

1. 我知道"My mind went blank." 的意思,

那" My face went blank." 呢? 它等於"My face turned pale."嗎?

是" 臉色變得蒼白" 還是"表情得變木然"?

2. 我在一句話裡看到 a "body politic" 查了字典意思是"政治統一體; 國家",

但是對這個片語的組成覺得很奇怪, 為什麼不是a "politic body"啊?

已更新項目:

另外, 想請教Louis大師,

我想知道有沒有the President elected 的說法?

萬一有的話, 跟the President elect 的差別是什麼?

也請PONY大師多提供含有'body politic' 的例句.

謝謝各位!

2 個已更新項目:

感謝Louis大師, PONY大師, 阿昌及Jasmine對本題的迅速回應,

有關"My face went blank."這一句不是我自創的, 我是在逛書店時隨手翻閱一本原文書The Report Card (作者是Andrew Clements美國作家)前幾頁上面出現的, 因為跟平常看到的表達用法不同, 所以才上來發問的.

也很謝謝Louis大師告訴我"這種寫法是傳自拉丁文的習慣,用後位修飾的方式。" 而且舉了很多的例子, 真是受益良多!

3 個已更新項目:

I would like to share the following information with each question-taker:

Last night on my way home I ran into a stranger—a foreigner from Canada; somehow, we just started to have a chat and he said he was teaching English, so I asked him what “my face went blank” meant,

4 個已更新項目:

he told me it meant “my face has no expression, no emotion which could be caused by shock, by confusion, or you are too nervous or too scared to react. Therefore, I got the answer to my first question.

5 個已更新項目:

Both Master Louis and Master PONY offer me great answers, but I can choose one only--it’s a hard decision

4 個解答

評分
  • Louis
    Lv 7
    9 年前
    最佳解答

1. 有看過a blank face=表情木然,和a blank look同義;但沒有看過My face went blank.的說法。我們不宜自創新的表達方式,以免別人看不懂。

2. the body politic是一個將形容詞放在後面的固定組合,類似的名詞有

the Prince Regent 攝政王

the Attorney General 檢察長

the heir apparent 法定繼承人

the President elect 總統當選人

the Postmaster General 郵政總局長

the devil incarnate 魔鬼化身

the Secretary General 秘書長

a court-martial 軍事法庭

這種寫法是傳自拉丁文的習慣,用後位修飾的方式。

2011-12-19 23:55:43 補充:

the President elect的elect當形容詞用時,意思就是〔被選定的〕.

所以沒有用elected這個分詞的講法.

參考資料: , 遠東新世紀英漢辭典
  • 匿名使用者
    9 年前

1.my face went blank不等於My face turned pale

前者為【因尷尬等因素眼神空洞 (要說是表情一時之間僵住也行)】

2.因為此處body為形容詞,有群體之意

而politic為政治

合起來直譯為則為【整體政治】,說得通順一點就變成【政治統一體】

2011-12-17 20:13:23 補充:

politic body譯為中文後為【政治的團體】

• 阿昌
    Lv 7
    9 年前

My face went blank.我的臉一片空白。

My face turned pale.我的臉變得蒼白。

a body politic政治身體

a political body一個政治團體

• PONY
    Lv 7
    9 年前

Dear Baobao,

1. I’d opt for the latter interpretation. If you say ‘his face went blank’, perhaps it means that he is confused by something you are saying or doing. Or perhaps he is wondering what he is supposed to react next. Anyway, blank usually just means confused .

http://www.furioustees.com/If_a_guy_looks_at_looks...

2.If ‘politic’ is used individually, it’s referred to as an adjective, such as in ‘ a Politic Education’, “in the politic sense”or in a ‘politic decision’. However, the phrase of ‘body politic’ is seen as singular noun, according to the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. Also, in terms of its frequency of usage, we can pull out nearly 400 usages of ‘body politic’ from the data base of American Corpus while only one usage of ‘politic body’. Therefore, the implication is that ‘body politic’ has been habitually used by English native speakers when it comes to ‘a nation or a government’. Should you need more example sentences, please feel free to let me know.

2011-12-18 23:41:27 補充:

Until there is some resolution of the conflict within the Palestinian body politic, there will be nothing to discuss, primarily because there is and will be no legitimate interlocutor on the Palestinian side.( 2009, Schanzer, Jonathan, The Iranian Gambit in Gaza )

2011-12-18 23:41:59 補充:

Yet the neoconservatives and the Bush administration weren't entirely wrong in 2003 when they expressed confidence in the underlying strength of the Iraqi body politic. (2007 (Mar), Vol. 39, Iss. 3; pg. 16, 5 pgs, Washington Monthly)

2011-12-18 23:50:47 補充:

President Obama said he is " confident that America will fulfill the commitments that we have made " to cut U.S. carbon emissions by 17 percent by 2020 and 80 percent by 2050 -- at astounding expense to the American body politic . (2010, Melchior, Jillian, Ignoring 'Climategate')

還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。