Patrick 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 8 年前

How to use the comma right?

Hi,

If I want to shorten the sentence, "I love to go to Jilong, where is located in the northmost Taiwan." , can you tell me which one below is correct?

1. "I love to go to Jilong located in the northmost Taiwan."

2. "I love to go to Jilong, located in the northmost Taiwan."

I mean do I have to put a comma after Jilong if I want to shorten the sentence here.

Thanks a lot for your help. ^^"

3 個解答

評分
  • Louis
    Lv 7
    8 年前
    最佳解答

1. I love to go to Jilong, where is located in the northmost Taiwan.語法錯誤。應寫成: I love to go to Jilon, which is located in the north of Taiwan.因為where是副詞,不能當作子句的主詞。

2. l love to go to Jilong, a city located in the north of Taiwan.分詞當修飾語時,加上逗號表示是非限定的修飾語。對Jilong這個專有名詞來說,是不能加以限定的,但加上逗號後,另一個意思是指這個修飾語是修飾更前面的主詞[我],所以不如在分詞片語前再加上a city做為Jilong的同位語,以免讓句子有語病的問題。

3. I love to go to Jilong, the northmost city in Taiwan.直接用同位語來寫,句子會較簡潔。

• 登入以對解答發表意見
  • 8 年前

A comma IS required to join the two clauses. However, your sentence, as it is written, suggests that there are several "Taiwan"s, and the one farthest north is where Jilong is located. More importantly, no part of the sentence construes Jilong's whereabouts within this particular Taiwan.

May I suggest:I love going to Jilong, located in the northernmost part of Taiwan.I love going to Jilong, the northernmost city in Taiwan. P.S.There are no rules requiring the use of relative pronoun “which” following the comma.

參考資料: Dwight Howard →→ Lakers
    • 登入以對解答發表意見
  • 8 年前

First, "where" means "a place which".

Then, the status of "Jilong" is equal to "where is located in the northmost Taiwan".

Look at sentence 1. This is correct.

The sentence 1 can be seen as "I love to go to Jilong which is located in the northmost Taiwan" .

The "which is" can be omitted. So the sentence 1 is correct.

The sentence 2 should be add "which" after the comma.

At last, if you want to put a comma, you must put relational pronoun, the "which".

You can ask your teacher again. I am afraid that I was wrong.

參考資料: me
    • 登入以對解答發表意見
還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。