Henry 007 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 8 年前

English lessons are rubbish??

Do you think that Taiwan high schools' English lessons are rubbish?

absolutely rubbish?

and do you think you will never ever learn good English in a high school in TW

Dont be afraid and tell me what you think.

已更新項目:

Good point DaSaGwa, fantastic , mate

You are right, in fact TW people who got a BA degree from a department of English language, they still dont speak good English,

I wonder why they are doing this rubbish English lesson, and get nothing

4 個解答

評分
  • 8 年前
    最佳解答

I learned quite a bit of English in high school, and considered myself well prepared for my study in university and grad school. Few lessons are really rubbish; and there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all lessons.

I suspect that if we put the best English teacher in the world in an average high sschool English class in Taiwan, HongHong, Japan, or Korea, there are always people declaring the instruction a failure -- just my suspicion.

• 8 年前

Personally, I think that you're a douche bad and a pretentious person. Not that i didn't agree with it, it's just that your attitude towards English classes in Taiwan is blatantly rude.

• 8 年前

This kind of problem is TWO-way. In Taiwan, people emphasize the result (good or bad, depends upon how you look at it), especially a fast result. People think if students cannot do well, then it must be the teacher who is not effective in teaching.

2012-04-18 11:36:01 補充:

Therefore, forcing students to memorize grammar and vocabulary, hopefully, with this memorized knowledge, they can score well in tests. In turn, teachers got labeled as being effective. Students would like this kind of teacher.

2012-04-18 11:38:26 補充:

Now, students think they got lots of vocabulary and grammar memorized, they must be good with English. Unfortunately not! They hit a brick wall when they want to speak with foreigners or want to listen to an all-English movie.

2012-04-18 11:41:09 補充:

In fact, another problem start surfacing, that is, they findd that what they memorized starts going away. Eventually, they find themselves close to be English illiterate.

2012-04-18 11:45:32 補充:

So, whose fault is this? To me, it is both student and teacher. Education itself is NOT rubbish, it is the attitude you have toward the education. Why nobody complains that the Chinese our parents taught is rubbish, because we all can

speak, listen Chinese.

2012-04-18 11:46:32 補充:

typo!

we all can speak, listen Chinese ==> we all can speak and listen to Chinese.

2012-04-18 11:50:46 補充:

Our parents never ask us to memorize characters or grammar, but just patiently repeat their saying again and again until we get it, and we never ask WHY? Now, when we learn English, we MEMORIZE, we ASK why, we need a reason to understand a sentence, we translate in order to understand ... and so on

2012-04-18 11:56:05 補充:

After we grow up, why we try to learn a language in such a complicated and inefficient way, besides we set up lots of obstacles for ourselves to overcome.

With the above said, if English education is rubbish, then tell me precisely which part of it is ?!

2012-04-18 12:03:21 補充:

By the way, American kids learn their English just like we learn our Chinese! My son didn't know how to spell a word, but he can read Harry Potter. Not amazing! because you can speak Chinese before you can recognize those Chinese characters.

2012-04-18 12:04:54 補充:

My honest suggestion, don't blame the system, but take a good look at yourself: how do you learn English ?

2012-04-18 12:19:31 補充:

As students, we (including myself) all want to outsmart the system by cutting corners, but in the end, we outcast ourselves to learn the knowledge properly. Ask yourself, how many subjects you learn and you can still remember the next semester?

2012-04-18 12:23:54 補充:

If you answer is not many (or even NONE), then can you just single out English education as rubbish?

2012-04-18 12:36:54 補充:

Finally, I like to assure you that, in NO way, I criticize your saying, but just offer you a different angle to look at your question.

• 8 年前

Never took English lessons in TW but from the questions I saw here, I perceived that most of the HS students in TW only worry about their test scores. From that (mis)understanding, I would say "misguided", if not rubbish.

還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。