Is "Internationalwide" a word

Is "internationalwide" a (commonly used) word?

Or rather, should it be "international-wide," with a hyphen?

I've also seen some people use "internationwide," not sure if it's acceptable.

As in the following sentences,

e.g. I

This corporation is doing pretty well and has an internationalwide prospect.

e.g. II

After graduation, I would seek to broaden my horizons internationalwide.

In your opinion, is "internationalwide" an accepted term?

If so, when is it use and what does it mean?

If not, which word(s) shall I replace it with in the sentences above?

Thanks in advance to those caring to drop a hint.

(By the way, YK+'s system is a bit f**ked right now, so I will not put this question to vote. Please kindly let me know if you think someone's answer is better. Thanks a lot!!)

已更新項目:

typo: . . . when is it "used" and . . .

2 個已更新項目:

Thank you American Princess and 銀角大王!! Much obliged.

Seems like two more Masters are against this word, but of course, all of us can infer its meanings.

Have a nice day.

3 個已更新項目:

But now I am really in a dilemma of choosing the best answers. (The voting system isn't working properly, so I dare not put this to vote, yet both answers are very helpful to me. ) Guys and Gals, Masters or Princess, pray vote in the comments area instead. (Or express your opinions)

4 個已更新項目:

But now I am really in a dilemma of choosing the best answers. (The voting system isn't working properly, so I dare not put this to vote, yet both answers are very helpful to me. ) Guys and Gals, Masters or Princess, pray vote in the comments area instead. (Or express your opinions)

8 個解答

評分
  • 8 年前
    最佳解答

去年我從 PONY 大師那邊學到一個查察的方式:

把相關字詞放到 American Corpus 看看有多少結果

我剛剛把 internationalwide 放入,結果是 0

表示 Corpus of Contemporary American English 並不把它當作一個字

方式二:到英文 yahoo 查察有沒有使用 internationalwide 這個字的網頁。

我試了一下,沒有。

只有一個 pdf 檔, 使用 national-wide vs. international-wide

但是這種孤鳥,實在不足採用。

今天這個世界,什麼英文都有人用。而且絕大部份的新發明,都可看懂。

問題是:(學術專業用語例外)沒有流行通用的字詞,通常我們就認為那不是眾人接受的英文(即使一看就知道大概是什麼意思)

2012-06-25 10:34:39 補充:

This corporation is doing pretty well and has an _international_ prospect.

After graduation, I would seek to broaden my horizons _internationally_ (globally).

• 登入以對解答發表意見
  • 槑仙
    Lv 6
    8 年前

大大同意~銀角大王~

因為我是金角大王(冷笑話=不用當真)

即使~

個人是通俗派=很容易接受口語化

然而~

*似是而非的字眼=千萬不能當真*

除非是~

已經被廣泛運用(通俗文化) or 大眾都認同(人云亦云)

譬如:

kung fu 老外也是發音:功夫=不會講成:空夫(音譯)

Long time no see!

PS:

純粹就事論事

很久沒來英文園地=誰也不認識

(本來網友就很多~的相反)

• 登入以對解答發表意見
  • 8 年前

International came from "inter" + "Nation" meaning among nations.

Adding "wide" suffix is not consisten to "inter". I think it is better just use "worldwide" and global.

• 登入以對解答發表意見
  • 8 年前

It's better to remain silent and only be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubts. . ~Abe Lincoln

• 登入以對解答發表意見
  • 您覺得這個回答如何?您可以登入為回答投票。
  • 8 年前

1. International-wide reads odd. Use worldwide.

• 登入以對解答發表意見
  • 8 年前

I was afraid you might ask this question, because when I write down "nationwide", I was thinking: why not "internationwide". I keep reading it and I just don't feel right with "internaionwide", but I have NO clear idea why?

2012-06-24 13:19:05 補充:

After all, the other examples I have listed, all have a noun follows with suffix "wide". Why "internationalwide" is an "adjective" follows with suffix "wide"?

2012-06-24 13:20:23 補充:

I wonder, in "internationalwide", "international" is treated as a "noun". That is why we don't use "internationwide"?!

2012-06-24 13:30:28 補充:

I like to comment on "worldwide" and "internationalwide". In my opinion, "worldwide" is similar to "globalwide", means all nations on earth.

2012-06-24 13:31:00 補充:

However, "internationalwide" shall refer to among the nations or countries. Hence, they do have some minute difference.

2012-06-24 14:05:28 補充:

Yes, I agree! It depends upon how picky a person wants to use them. I just provide a reason why LC's student might insist on using "internationalwide".

2012-06-25 21:29:01 補充:

This kind of use is so-called "suffix". Whether to use a "hyphen" or not, here is a general rule:

1. Insert a hyphen to avoid doubling up the same consonant.

2. Insert a hyphen to avoid a hard-to-read result.

3. Insert a hyphen after a capitalized noun.

2012-06-25 21:29:24 補充:

for example: companywide citywide, nationwide worldwide,

pew-wide, university-wide, Seattle-wide.

internationalwide : 國際範圍的; 國際性的

If it is written as "international wide", it MIGHT mean differently as "國際廣角"

2012-06-25 21:30:42 補充:

LC! I have moved my answer to the opinion area, hopefully, this will solve your dilemma problem !!!

• 登入以對解答發表意見
  • Thank you Master DSG, your answers are always helpful and informative.

Since you mentioned the word "nationwide," do you think it should be "internationwide" rather than internation'AL'wide?

2012-06-24 13:06:57 補充:

I kinda agree with Master Fantastic's idea. Worldwide is a much better word in this situation. However, some student insists on using "internationalwide" in his compositions, so...

2012-06-24 14:23:33 補充:

Well he's not my student, but one of my colleagues'. Also, it is not whether he is picky, but whether the professor who grades his test papers is that matters. You know, the College Entrance Exam (or Taiwan SAT) is coming in precisely 7 days.

2012-06-24 19:34:55 補充:

It's no biggie, Master DH.

I've been a fool all along, and that's why I am here to ask questions.

2012-06-25 21:03:01 補充:

Thank you American Princess and 銀角大王!! Much obliged.

Seems like two more Masters are against this word, but of course, all of us can infer its meanings.

2012-06-25 21:03:28 補充:

But now I am really in a dilemma of choosing the best answers. (The voting system isn't working properly, so I dare not put this to vote, yet both answers are very helpful to me. ) Guys and Gals, Masters or Princess, pray vote in the comments area instead. (Or express your invaluable opinions)

2012-06-25 21:06:36 補充:

And speaking of Master PONY, it's been a long time since I've last seen him (her?) online, and I wonder how he's doning?

Still owe him a lot in the following question:

http://tw.knowledge.yahoo.com/question/question?qi...

2012-06-27 11:40:08 補充:

Dear Master DSG,

"It's not about standing out, but about being strong enough to walk away."

Kudos to you!! (But it seems that the voting system is back to normal, hmm. . . )

2012-06-27 11:40:24 補充:

Welcome, Master 槑仙. I've read your answers (by means of the search engine) once or twice. Nice to see you, and thanks for your opinions.

This question is about to draw to an end, so tomorrow I'll be back here to sum up what I've learned and elect the best answer. Nice day, everyone!!

2012-06-29 11:39:43 補充:

In a nutshell:

"Internationalwide" makes sense, but simply put "worldwide" and avoid complication. (Master Fantastic)

Whether with or without a hyphen, this kind of use (wide) is so-called "suffix". (Master DSG)

International-wide sounds odd. (Master Mimi)

2012-06-29 11:43:41 補充:

It's better to remain silent and only be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubts. (Master DH)

"Nationwide" menaing among nations, adding "wide" suffix is not consisten to "inter". Better use "worldwide" and global. (Amrican Princess)

2012-06-29 11:49:42 補充:

Search for references in the American Corpus and see if any result of a certain usage comes up. Then, we'll see international-wide is not commonly used. (Master PONY +銀角大王)

Unless widely accepted, self-coined word should be avoided. (Master 槑仙)

2012-06-29 11:52:52 補充:

And special thanks to:

Master Allen, Lady JK, *・ஐﻬღLouis Vuittonღﻬஐ・*, 三助大, Citron, Master Jim, 白白, 小龍大師.

Wish you all a wonderful summer!!

• 登入以對解答發表意見
  • 8 年前

nationwide: extending or reaching throughout the whole nation

worldwide: extending or reaching throughout the whole world

-wide

adverb

1 to the full extent

2 far from a particular point or mark

It makes sense to say that, but you can simply put "worldwide" without getting complicated.

2012-06-24 13:59:32 補充:

This only depends on how far or how precise you want to go with it. I have no judge on that. :D

• 登入以對解答發表意見
還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。