CHIEH
Lv 5
CHIEH 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 8 年前

Some English questions

1.____ Jason's mother-in-law,her sharp words often left him ____.

(A)With the mention of ; speechless (B)Speaking of ; speechlessly (C)To talk of ; speechlessly (D)At the mention of ; speechless

→Which answer should I choose? And why to chooese this answer?

2.我發現這是一本有趣的書。→ I found it ____ ____ ____.

→What I can fill in this three blanks?

Thanks for your help !!:D

已更新項目:

TO.DaSaGwa

THX!!

I still can't understand why can't I choose ''at the mention of ''.Can you change another statement?

2 個已更新項目:

TO.DaSaGwa

Thanks a lot !! I think I can totally realize what you said.Thanks for answering my questions,and hope my English can as good as you one day !! :D

4 個解答

評分
  • 8 年前
    最佳解答

To answer this question, it might be easier to start with " left him ___". You need to use "speechless", because "left" is the pass tense of "leave", it is a causative verb. Hence, you can easily eliminate "(B)and (C). Causative verb uses "adjective" to describe its object, here, it is "him".

Between "with the mention of" and "at the mention of", you need to choose "with the mention of", because 'at the mention of" means "at the moment when someone mention ...". "with the mention of" means "in respond to someone mention", it doesn't matter of when. After all, his "speechless" is independent of time but due to "her sharp word".

我發現這是一本有趣的書。→ I found it _ an_ _ interesting_ _ book_.

2012-09-09 11:44:43 補充:

typo:

his "speechless" ... ==> his being "speechless"...

in respond to someone mention... ==> in response to someone's mentioning ...

2012-09-09 12:44:58 補充:

"at the mention of", because when you use "at", you usually want to express "time" or "location". In this case, it is used to express time. That is why I said "at the mention of" means 'AT THE MOMENT when someone mention ...".

2012-09-09 12:48:11 補充:

In a word, when you use "at the mention of", you want to emphasize the INSTANT OF TIME. However, in the questioned sentence, TIME is not the issue, but the mother-in-law's SHARP WORDS. This is why you use "WITH" to express "in response to", not "at the moment of".

2012-09-09 13:17:56 補充:

"with the mention of" translates as "一提起"; "at the mention of" translates as "在提到". As you can see in Chinese, they don't really have that much difference. However, you really need to pay attention to the difference in use of "at" and "with".

2012-09-09 23:41:19 補充:

master Dark Helmet, if you like answer (B), why you use "always leaves me speechless", not "always leaves me speechlessly", with "ly" in speechless" ?

2012-09-11 11:24:14 補充:

In that case, why "(B) Speaking of, speechlessly" is your choice ?

2012-09-15 14:34:29 補充:

Chieh!, He is "Dark Helmet", not "Dark Hellmet" !! Look like he has some explanation to do with your English teacher !!

參考資料: self
  • CHIEH
    Lv 5
    8 年前

TO.Dark Hellmet

But the answer surely is (A) -/-

2012-09-16 19:14:04 補充:

OH !!! Sorry,I did not mean~~>"<

But why he thought ''speechlessly'' isn't the correct answer?

• 8 年前

The word "rectal" is kind of uncalled for, don't you think?

• 8 年前

1. the correct answer is (B)

Speaking of DaSaGwa ( 大師 4 級 ), his/her rectal speech always leaves me speechless.

2012-09-11 11:12:56 補充:

Because "speechlessly" is wrong, but I'm sure you know that already.

還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。