frantic_tin 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 7 年前

英文句子文法問題

Having different DNA from the individual you are kissing heightens the chance of having healthy offspring should the kissing lead somewhere.

請問最後should the kissing lead somewhere是什麼意思 修飾誰 前面不是有動詞heightens 後面怎麼又多個should

3 個解答

評分
  • 7 年前
    最佳解答

Your questioned sentence consists of 3 parts:

participle phrase (subject) + verb (main) + clause (as an object)

Having different DNA from the individual you are kissing heightens the chance of having healthy offspring should the kissing lead somewhere.

"Having different DNA from the individual you are kissing" is a participle phrase (分詞片語) uses as the subject of the entire sentence.

"heightens" is the main verb, it has "s" is because of participle phrase as the subject.

"the chance of having healthy offspring should the kissing lead somewhere" is a subjunctive mood (假設語氣). Originally, it shall be " the chance of having healthy offspring, if the kissing should lead somehwere". However, it wants to omit "if", so "should" and "the kissing" need to be reserved. This is called "subjunctive mood - reversed sentence". For example:

If I were a billionaire, I wouldn’t be a teacher. =Were I a billionaire, I wouldn’t be a teacher.

Hopefully, this analysis can give you an idea how the complicated sentence is structured.

2013-10-20 11:55:44 補充:

"the chance of having healthy offspring should the kissing lead somewhere" is served as the object (受詞) for "heightens".

• Commenter avatar登入以對解答發表意見
  • Louis
    Lv 7
    7 年前

A participle phrase can only be used as a modifier, not a subject. The ~ing phrase in this sentence is a gerund.

• 羅莉
    Lv 7
    7 年前

Having different DNA from the individual you are kissing heightens the

chance of having healthy offspring should the kissing lead somewhere.

擁有與你所親吻的人不同的DNA, 提高了擁有健康後代的機率, 萬一這一吻吻出了某種結果的話.

說明:

假設語氣「未來萬一」句型

If + S + should + Vr

省略If的寫法是:

Should + S + Vr

本句最後should the kissing lead somewhere, 就是省略if的假設語氣「未來萬一」句型.

通常男女墜入情網會從接吻開始, 進而相戀、結婚並有了後代, 這個情緣追溯源頭就是那一吻, 所以說「萬一這一吻吻出了某種結果的話」.

生物學上而言, 父系的DNA與母系差異越大, 其後代就會越優良. 有機會的話, 跟外星人談戀愛試試看, 哈哈......

2013-10-20 16:24:05 補充:

分詞片語與動名詞片語的名稱很多人搞不清楚, 連很多老外也不例外, 在英語論壇看過很多次.

參考資料: 羅莉 - 閱讀經驗
還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。