Hi my friends,
Do you have the following answers?
1. Why do we say " Drive safe; Play safe; I am home safe. " I mean why don't we say "drive safely; play safely; I am home safely." ?
2. Can we say " Today the sun is very big."? We make it a habit to say it in Chinese but not for sure if it works in English,too.
3. For 你越描越黑, can we say you dig yourself into a deeper hole. I seem to hear it on CNN but not very sure I got it all right.
4. How to translate below sentences into English?
Thanks a lot for your help! ^^
- ThurstonLv 67 年前最佳解答
1. Please refer to---http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/8328/wh...
I am not a native speaker; all I can do is provide you with explicit explanations from native ones.
2. How about "The sun is scorching today."?
3. It's an idiom---dig yourself into a hole, which means "to get yourself into a bad situation that will be very difficult to get out of" (quoted from Oxford dictionary)
If you get misunderstood, you may want to justify yourself. In case you do that the wrong way, then dig yourself into a hole may be of your choice. "you just make the matter worse.", or indirectly speaking, "you just embarrass yourself." can be considered.
I am a fresh graduate.
I am just entering the job market.
I start to find my way to be street smart.
(you may use "like" or "enjoy" to make your sentences.)
Society news in the newspaper and on TV attracts my attention.
I have a penchant for society news in the newspaper and on TV.
- 呆子Lv 77 年前
the more you say,the less people understand.
I just step into the society