promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
峻瑋 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 6 年前

克漏字求解

________ so hard-working he even learned to speak a few African language.

(A)To be (B)He was (C)Being (D)Having

They can find ________ bits of iron on the floor with small magnets.

(A)lose (B)lost (C)losing (D)lose

For example, people could trade gold for almost ________ .........

(A)any item (B)any other item (C)all the item (D)all the other item

答案我都知道也知道大概的意思我想知道的是其他選項為何不可,望有高手幫忙回答

已更新項目:

Your answer is pretty good but can you tell me what situation do I have to use comma.

Because for the first question ,the answer is Being instead of He was.

In my opinion, THAT can not bypass anywhere.

2 個已更新項目:

For that second question the answer is LOST ,and the answer lose isn't typo.

我想知道的是為何不能用LOSING在英文中已分詞作為形容詞用法是十分常見的我想知道的是在此處有何不可

3 個已更新項目:

第三題我知道比較需有排他性故在我璇則之中也是B 和 D在選但我不能理解的是all the other item 在文法上也和不可 所有其他之物 已有排除GOLD不是嗎? 我想到的是ITEM可數而使用ALL的時候必為複數故必須加"S"而此題並未加入,不過我想確認一下

2 個解答

評分
  • 6 年前
    最佳解答

________ so hard-working he even learned to speak a few African language.

(A)To be (B)He was (C)Being (D)Having

"hard-working" is an adjective, so you will need a BE-verb as the verb.

You don't choose "To be", because it indicates something has NOT happened yet.

You don't choose "Being", because it misses " , " as

Being so hard-working, he even learned to speak a few African language.

You choose "He is", because

He was so hard-working (that) he even learned to speak a few African language.

They can find ________ bits of iron on the floor with small magnets.

(A)lose (B)lost (C)losing (D)loose

One of the choices of "lose" needs to be changed to "loose". Other choices are just the conjuration of Lose" and "lose" doesn't fit the context of the sentence.

For example, people could trade gold for almost ________ .........

(A)any item (B)any other item (C)all the item (D)all the other item

Using "other" gives you a clear idea that people exchange with other item OTHER than gold. Otherwise, it might also include "gold" as a trade item. Using "all" will include "gold".

2014-03-31 22:11:49 補充:

Maybe, trading gold with gold has nothing wrong, but it is kind of redundant. This is why, for the logical context, you shall try to avoid such a situation.

2014-04-01 09:57:06 補充:

typo!

… the conjuration of … ==> … the conjugation of …

2014-04-03 09:57:06 補充:

Using "being" to start a sentence, likely it is used as an adjective (participle phrase) to modify the subject "he". It usually needs a " , ". Please refer to this link:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/627/02...

2014-04-03 09:57:42 補充:

THAT can not bypass anywhere

I don't quite understand what you mean for the above statement!

2014-04-03 10:00:52 補充:

我想知道的是為何不能用LOSING在英文中已分詞作為形容詞用法是十分常見的我想知道的是在此處有何不可

When you use "losing", it implies TWO things: (1)an ongoing situation (2)it is an active voice.

2014-04-03 10:02:36 補充:

"bits" cannot get lost by themselves. Hence, it is NOT a good idea to use "losing". Also, if bits are in the process of "losing", then you don't need to FIND it, it doesn't fit in the context.

2014-04-03 10:05:49 補充:

In the question, you can use "lost", but in my opinion, "bit" means "鑽頭". If it is "ON THE FLOOR" (as the sentence states), how can it be LOST? This is why I suggest to use "loose".

2014-04-03 10:08:45 補充:

所有其他之物 已有排除GOLD不是嗎?

If it is "所有其他之物", then it will include GOLD. Otherwise, you cannot say "ALL". It means "NO EXCEPT".

2014-04-03 10:12:21 補充:

with or without "s" in "item" is not the point. Difference between "the item" and "the items" is "the item" talks about it as a group, "the items" talks about "each individual in the whole group".

2014-04-03 10:13:43 補充:

Either way, they will all include "GOLD". Only when you use "other", then you make GOLD as an exception.

2014-04-03 10:46:11 補充:

to respond to #004:

In the questioned sentence you have, omitting "that" with using "He was" would not confuse people at all. Because "he even learned …" is a complete sentence.

2014-04-03 10:48:11 補充:

我懂你的意思但我以為BITS為數量詞意思跟piece類似

When "bit" has similar meaning like "piece", it needs to be "a bit of". Using as "bits" cannot have "pieces" meaning.

2014-04-03 10:51:22 補充:

Your problem is you use Chinese translation to understand the context of the sentence and ignore there is logic in expressing the context. Like what I have said in #007, grammatically, there is NOTHING wrong to use "LOST", but logically, it doesn't make sense to me.

2014-04-03 10:52:39 補充:

You ask: why can you use "losing". It also indicates that you only use the grammar rule to understand the sentence, you don't use the logic to understand it.

2014-04-03 13:34:30 補充:

I went back to read the very last supplement question. I found that I didn't answer it well. Let me elaborate it more:

2014-04-03 13:36:32 補充:

"any other item" gives you an impression that it is just ONE item.

"all the other item" give you an impression that every item is included. Yes, it will NOT include "GOLD", because it uses "the other".

2014-04-03 13:39:27 補充:

However, logically, can GOLD trade for "all" (every item is included) or just any (one item)? I think it shall be just one item. Maybe, it is combination of several items, but certainly not every item included.

2014-04-03 13:42:34 補充:

Hence, it is again a logic problem!

• Commenter avatar登入以對解答發表意見
  • 6 年前

我的意思是THAT這個字可以在任何地方省略媽想要請教,因為如果選了HE was

而沒有THAT整體句子會出現非常大的問題

2014-04-03 10:09:04 補充:

我懂你的意思但我以為BITS為數量詞意思跟piece類似

• Commenter avatar登入以對解答發表意見
還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。