Patrick 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 6 年前

English: question from a song

My dear friends,

I hear a sentence from a song called " Count one me".

It reads--- If you're tossin' and you're turnin.

I think tossin' should be tossing but what's the purpose of singing like this? Is the

pronunciation still the same?

Also, turnin should be turning but why can't we see turnin' ?

Appreciate your help! ^^

2 個解答

評分
  • 最佳解答

"g" is not pronounced , therefore, you will see "ing" is shorten as in'...when you are singing, you still have to sing as "ing" instead of "in". It is a lazy or money-saving way to shorten it like that to differ itself from "in".

It is an informal usage. usually it will end with that shorten mark --> ' <-- so reader can distinguish easily. The one you saw prob. forgot to type it since it is informal usage, you will see some lazy typing to omit that mark from time to time.

2014-10-13 05:04:03 補充:

Due to linking in pronunciation, it might confuse non-native speakers a little bit. The forms of those words are changed, but not pronunciation. Pay close attention to native speakers, like Brits and Australian ( not American, American pronunciation tends to be blurry ) .

2014-10-13 05:26:50 補充:

check out the difference between "n", alveolar nasal sound and "ŋ" velar nasal sound.

2014-10-13 05:58:21 補充:

typo correction:

shorten -> shortened

Change

The one you saw prob. forgot to type it since it is informal usage

*not sure what I was saying myself...lol....

To

The one without " ' " mark is prob. left out by accident. The usage of " ' " shortening "ing" is informal but acceptable.

2014-10-14 16:17:47 補充:

***" ' " is called apostrophes

• ?
    Lv 7
    6 年前

The ending of ~in' is a sound much easier than ~ing for us to pronounce. We can talk more fluently when we pronounce ~in' rather than ~ing.

還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。