promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
之雪 花 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 5 年前

CNN student news

I've got confused and can't understand a part of the CNN student news.

Here's the website: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF_2tUJJhss

Youtube thumbnail

You can skip to 6:36 and you can see the subtitle that wrote: They slept in tents that hunk from bolts in the granite. And as I looked in the dictionary, hunk is only used as a noun, meaning a big slice or a muscular guy. So, I'm confused of the meaning of

this whole sentence, since it doesn't make sense. Thanks for helping.

已更新項目:

can you describe what does'' hung from bolts in the granite ''to me? I can't really understand the sentence

2 個已更新項目:

can you describe what does'' hung from bolts in the granite ''to me? I can't really understand the sentence

3 個已更新項目:

4 個已更新項目:

And there's a sentence in this clip that says '' They become the first people in the world to free climb the formation Down Wall"

The part " formation Down Wall" in this sentence doesn't seem to make any sense ?

4 個解答

評分
  • Lucas
    Lv 6
    5 年前
    最佳解答

That is a typo, or the writer didn't listen to it carefully.

It should be "hung" rather than "hunk".

They slept in tents that hung from bolts in the granite.

2015-07-21 01:23:27 補充:

bolts - see the link below for picture and info.

granite - a type of rock

it means the tents are hung from the bolts that are stuck in the hole drilled in the rock.

2015-07-21 01:36:36 補充:

There are two typos in the sentence

1 instead of "Down Wall" it should be "Dawn Wall", one face(side) of El Capitan

2 instead of "formations" it should be "formation's", in this case, this word is used as a geological terminology, which means

2015-07-21 01:39:07 補充:

a primary unit in the mapping of rock strata, consisting of a set of contemporaneous rocks having the same characteristics and origin

El Capitan is a vertical rock formation

after all, he's saying

"They become the first people in the world to free-climb one of El Capitan's side named Dawn Wall"

參考資料: thanks to all the people who give free answers away in the suggestion section, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_(climbing)
    • Commenter avatar登入以對解答發表意見
  • 5 年前

I third that but hung or hunk - they sound similar.

A lot of people actually pronounce the former "hunga".

• 5 年前

I second that, it is hung not hunk.

• 5 年前

hunk, typo of hung

還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。