Kookie
Lv 5
Kookie 發問時間: 社會與文化語言 · 4 年前

What does “scoring own-goals all over the region” mean in the following excerpt?

Some think China has good reasons to want better relations across the region. Douglas Paal of the Carnegie Endowment, a Washington think-tank, says the recent diplomacy is part of China’s “counterbalance” to America’s rebalance in Asia. China has realised that it has been “scoring own-goals all over the region”; now it wants to tone down disputes. Worried about managing hostility on two fronts, it is trying to mend some fences. But China’s neighbours would like to see smiles from Mr Xi and Mr Li translated into a less assertive approach on the high seas.

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21678002-no-mor...

已更新項目:

如果你樂於回答此一問題,請前往reddit 暢所欲言。

https://www.reddit.com/r/TaiwanEvents/comments/3tg...

reddit 註冊只須10秒。

1.) 最右方 (位於Search上方) ,點擊 English 可改變語言設定,可選擇 "中文"

2.) (位於Search上方) Want to join? Log in or sign up in seconds.

建立新帳號只須填入 "使用者名稱","密碼" 就完成了

2 個解答

評分
  • 4 年前
    最佳解答

I don't see how China "scoring own-goals all over the region." It does exchange barbs with Japan, Taiwan, Vietnum, and even Philipines. But I don't see its mistakes big enough to benefit the opponent (ie. score a point for the opponent).

All its neighbours dislike what it is doing in south china sea. But none dares do anything other than whining.

What gives!

• Kookie
      Lv 5
      4 年前檢舉

No one will trust a bullying not-so-superpower, for sure. Please move your answer to Reddit. Help me build momentum there.

• Jenkin
    Lv 7
    4 年前

score an own goal / scored own-goal = made a mistake or the results is just the opposite of what hoped for.

The whole sentence means: China has realized that it has made many mistakes over the region; now it wants to reduce further disputes.

The idiom draws from football match or games that player loss point to the opponent by kicking the ball into his own goal by mistake.

• Kookie
      Lv 5
      4 年前檢舉

I would give you one "thumb up" for there is nothing inappropriate with your answer.
      But Prisoner26535 points out one downside of this metaphor. It seems that this metaphor doesn't meet the real situation on the South China Sea.
      Really thank you for your response.

還有問題?馬上發問,尋求解答。